Translate

Sunday, April 28, 2013

Building the Rocketeer Helmet - lenses

Update on the Rocketeer helmet project.  I have been really busy and it has been hard to work on some of my "fun" projects.  That being said, I did carve out a little bit of time to work on my Rocketeer helmet.  When we last left off it needed some lenses.

I have never put lenses in anything before, so I had a little trial and error process.

I first ordered some sample lens sheets from http://tapplastics.com.  They come in 4 inch by 4 inch squares.  I peeled the protective paper off of each side, then holding it with needle nose pliers I used my heat gun to slightly melt it.

I melted the plastic outside of the helmet until it would flop over all by itself.  Then I put it inside the helmet and used a rag and pushed on the lens to slightly bubble it out.  


This is the first piece (after it was cool enough to hold.)


I taped the lenses in place...





 and couldn't resist trying it on.







Then I had to take a picture outside.  


I peeled the left side of the tape off of the lens and folded it over.  I put some 5 minute epoxy in a large area around the eye, and folded the lens back over.  I held it in place until the epoxy held then I did the other eye.







It is available for sale on Ebay 
Rocketeer Helmet Fan Made Custom Prop 





3 comments:

  1. What about the leather chin strap??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot about the chin strap. Hmmmm. Thinking.

      Delete
  2. thank you so much for this! I'm doing Betty Paige as the Rocketeer for SDCC this year and was starting to freak out because of the prices of kits and stuf but this is way better! i think i can do this!

    ReplyDelete