According to the project triangle, this was going to be cheap and fast.
I started out with 3/4" pink styrofoam. The color doesn't matter. The pink and blue styrofoams are denser than the regular white stuff. I measured out two 4'x4' squares and cut out the two outside reel wheels from it. (I forgot to take pictures of this.) Then I cut out a small separate piece to serve as the film. This piece (shown behind the main reel) is shaped like a donut with the hole cut out from the middle. The piece shown is the front. Does this make sense or should I type slower?
On the inside of the back piece, I glued some styrofoam pieces in a circle to hold the cardboard in the next step. This will make more sense as we go along.
Now for the "film." I took some cardboard and cut it into a 2' wide by long enough to wrap all the way around the small donut circle that I cut before.
Here I was making sure the piece was big enough to go all the way around the styro blocks.
I test fitted the front to see if it would fit, and it did.
I attached the cardboard to the blocks with screws.
Then just to get rid of the corrugated cardboard edge I covered the edge that would be shown in masking tape.
I put the front piece back on and screwed the cardboard to the inside reel.
I dipped the screws into Gorilla Glue before screwing them in place.
Here it is standing upright.