or how to make a Cable Puppet part 2
I wasn't happy with the way the head turned. I thought it was a little too heavy. So I went with an Easter egg instead.
I drilled a small hole in the pointy end of the egg and put the cable through. I thought I put enough hot glue on the end of the cable. but I didn't so after all of the feathers were put on the cable came loose and pulled right out of the bird and I had to start all over again.
Here I put a piece of string from the body to the head. The only problem was this allowed the head to turn almost all the way around, which wasn't what I wanted. I found out that if I put it closer to the cable it worked better.
And the string kept breaking. ( I am rather rough with the testing I guess.) So I used some twine. I put them real close together. (the cable and the twine I mean) This gave the head a more normal turning radius, plus when I push on the cable the head looks up.
For the beak I took a piece of yellow fun foam and cut out a square.
I turned the foam so it was in the shape of a diamond. Next I put hot glue down the middle and folded the two corners in on each other and held them there till the glue cooled.
Then I folded up the edges again. This gave it a very curved shape and plus only left the only raw edge at the very tip.
I glued these in place. (you might or might not have noticed that the color of the tennis ball has now changed. This is the second one. The first one I forgot to take pictures of, and plus the cable pulled out. I corrected that by hot gluing both the jacket to the body, and the cable end into the head. Massive amount of hot glue inside the head.)
When I push on the cable the head lifts up.
Then I added a red feather boa starting on the base and going around and around. Gluing about 2 inches at a time. I did the head last (and separate from the body, because you know we want the head to turn.)
I also wet the feathers around his face and pulled them back so he could see.
I put a few yellow and orange feathers onto his head to give him a little extra color and Ta-da he is done. All in all it took me about 3-4 hours from start to finish. I am going to try a different cable next time. I think the bike cable was a little bit too heavy duty. The head doesn't turn as smooth as I would like it to. But still for my first attempt I think he is pretty cool.
Here is a short video clip of him in action.