Translate

Monday, September 3, 2012

How I make a pattern for styrofoam cut outs. Or Bumblebee pattern

In Some of the coral I made for VBS I had a question if I drew stuff free hand or had a pattern.  The answer is both.  Some things I do without a pattern, but if I have to make a shape that is the same on both sides, I make a pattern.

In this one I needed to make a bumble bee.  So I started off with a roll of thick brown paper.  I believe they sell this stuff at Home Depot in a roll.

I drew half of the bumble bee on a piece of this paper.  Then I cut out the half I had drawn.  Then I folded it in half and drew and cut out the other side.

Then I opened it up to see if it was going to fit with what I was needing.
It did.  So I wanted to see it with some stripes.



So I added stripes.


Now for the wing.  I drew a rough shape...


Then cut out just the part I had drawn.    You can see that the other part is square.


I folded it in half lengthwise and cut it again.


Here it is after it was cut.

The wing is too big where it touches the bee.


So fold and recut.



Then after about a few hours worth of work...

No comments:

Post a Comment