Translate

Thursday, December 22, 2011

How to make a prop fireplace

We needed a prop fireplace for our Christmas program that our church was doing.  So back to styrofoam.

I built a frame out of 2x4s so the outside dimensions were 3 1/2 feet tall by 4 foot wide and 2 foot deep.
Then I cut 1/2 inch styrofoam for the front and two sides.  The back I left open since no one would see it.



My sister Jill went to work painting the inside of the fireplace.   For this we just used a cardboard box that was cut to have the same dimensions on either side.  Then a coat of flat black.
We could have used one of those science fair project boards too but we didn't.


This is the finished inside.


I had to check how it looked.  


Here Jill is "mending" some rough spots in the 2 inch thick styro. She is doing this with 2 inch wide masking tape.  The tape covers up holes and takes paint really well.  This is best done if you are going to view it from a distance.  I wouldn't recommend it if your audience is going to be up close.

 This is a recycled piece that has been numerous different things. This piece will be the mantle.
 I cut this so it would stick over the front about 6 inches.



I forgot to take pictures so I will try and explain.  I attached the styro to the sides and front. Gave it a coat of light grey paint.  Then we had some styro stones (if you want to see how to make stones then follow this right here and scroll down near the bottom) left over from another set, so I glued them to the front and sides.  I will tell you I had to fight against my O. C. D. (I like to call it C. D. O. that way they are all in alphabetical order.) and not put them in a line.



Here is a top view of the fireplace. 


We painted the mantle with the same grey paint as the background pieces, but I didnt like the way it looked so we darkened it up a bit with some darker grey.  You might also notice that there are a few stones missing, (if you look at the earlier pics you will see that they were too light and noticeable) we painted them the darker grey also.   Also the middle of the stones seem to have a lighter spot in them.  This is because I was trying to hide the screw heads.  We had to go back and repaint them again too.

We added some real wood, a fake fire, a fireplace screen and we had a fire place perfect for our performance.

I didn't get a good picture of the fireplace after it was all finished.  So just use your imagination.

No comments:

Post a Comment