Translate

Monday, January 17, 2011

How to make Fake Candy Cane Coral


Here is more coral for a VBS. This type is called Candy Cane Coral.  This is a picture of the real thing.




First I tried the way I did the tube coral.  I sprayed the foam into the card stock tube and pressed the end inside.  Once the foam was fully cured I tore off the top and tried gluing it to a scrap ball of foam.  It didn't conform the way the real coral does.  Plus I wasted the foam that was left in the tube. 


  
Next I tried spraying small amounts of the Great Stuff foam onto wax paper.


After about 45 minutes to an hour the foam is cured enough to touch it with out it sticking to you, but not fully cured.  So it is still moldable and pliable. 


I peeled a glob off of the wax paper, being careful not to get it on my skin.  I really should have been using gloves, but I didn't have any. 

  
I pushed the glob onto a piece of dried scrap of foam.  Then I was able to push the middle and get it to stick.  Then I formed the outside into the shapes. 


 
This was more of what I wanted because the pieces could bump up against each other with  very little of the scrap foam ball showing.  I like this method a lot more.  This is the final piece before it is painted.





I painted this one with a sprayer.  It was easier to get into all the little crevices and creases with air than it was with a paintbrush.

2 comments: